Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cooking

Yep Food,

There is lots of it ... what is real food and what is "food product". Staying with real food gives you a lot more to eat and for less calories and it's better for you. We all know that - but the other STUFF, the "food products", taste good. I'm not missing eating food products at all and I thought I would. It's not that I can't have them, which is probably why I'm not missing them, it just that I'm trying to eat a whole lot less of them and eat more of what's good for me.

When it comes to real food, to be perfectly honest, I don't like the real food prep time. It takes longer to cook real food. For instance, yesterday, I had a protein shake with peanut butter for breakfast, no real prepare time ... sorta kinda, however,  I used to grab and egg or a Vita Muffin which took NO time at all to prepare. When you make a protein shake you have to get out the blender, gather the products, mix it, and clean up. I know, I know what's 3 minutes but even the easy foods like a protein shake take some time. 

Then there was lunch. I went out (lucky me). While I mulled over the menu looking at salads I really had to scan for a no-carb one. My friend, Barb,  had a strawberry, glazed pecan, spinach salad - an excellent choice except for those darn glazed pecans. I settled on a Mexican salad with no corn chips, and ordered it salsa and guacamole for the salad dressing.

Dinner, after my workout with 2b, consisted of another protein shake, I cut and cooked some vegetables and had chicken. 15 minutes of gathering and cutting plus cook time. Yeah, yeah, I know 2b - not enough calories.

Later that night I gathered and mixed the ingredients for blueberry baked oatmeal so that when I got up the next morning all I would need to do was toss the ingredients in a baking dish and wait.  But another 1/2 hour in the kitchen. I'm writing this as I wait and darn does it smell yummy.

I'll survive and the food is good, but really, when I get rich, I'm hiring a cook. Anyone know if Oprah's cook is looking for employment?


No comments:

Post a Comment